Kwande Local Government Area
Kwande Local Govt Area, formerly known as an, Intermediates area, created by D.O. J MacBridge, with the then headquarters at Manor. In September, 1976, it became one of the local government created under the Military government of General Murtala Mohammed.
Adikpo, also called “London”, as known for the friendly weather with a high-level of urbanisation.
The Spiritual and cultural heritage is traced to Jato-Aka town, named after the legendary Tor Jato Aka who was appointed by the colonial masters and custodian of the “Akombo”, the Tiv deity.
East-South of Benue State
2,744 Sq Km
Distance from Makurdi, the State Capital:
149 Km approximately, 1hour 30mins
345,850 (based on 2006 census)
Civil service, and
Table salt, and
Districts or Council wards and Polling Units:
They are Fifteen (15) council wards with 16 districts in Kwande local government.
- Adikpo Township council ward, Nanev
- Liev I council ward, Ikyurav ya
- Liev II council ward, Ikyurav ya
- Mbadura council ward
- Mbagba/Mbakyan council ward
- Mbaikyor council ward, Turan
- Mbaketsa council ward, Shangev-ya
- Menev council ward, Ikyura-ya
- Tondov I council ward, Shangev-ya
- Tondov II council ward, Shangev-ya
- Usar council ward, Nanev
- Mbayoo council ward, Nanev
- Yaav council ward, Turan
- Moon council ward, Turan
- Kumakwagh council ward, Turan
Mbaikyor has Two (2) districts of Barakur and Mkomon.
Kwande local government has Two Hundred and Forty Eight (248) polling units across its council wards.
- Jato-Aka (every Saturday),
- Aga (Saturdays),
- Diiv (Mondays),
* Most of the markets fall after every four days.
Kwande is known for high production of cash crops like:
HRH Chief Hilary Ikima,
Ter Kwande (2nd Class Chief),