Ministry Of Women Affairs
Benue State Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development was created out of the need for us to have a Government organ that would be dealing directly with families for the growth and development of a strong and healthy society.
Ministry of Women and Social Development started in 1990 as Benue State Commission department in the office of the secretary to Benue State Government and became a full fledged Ministry in 1997.
Today the Ministry promotes welfare of women, children and the less privileged in our society, particularly disabled persons in Benue State.
Divisional Social Welfare Offices are created in 21 Local Governments in Benue State for grassroots development.
Social Welfare Services in Benue State
Below are some of the established social services:
- Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida (IBB) square, Makurdi Local Government.
- The Maimuna Kontagora Hostels.
- Pauline Makka Day Care Centre, Makurdi Local Government.
- Pauline Makka Centre for Women Development, Makurdi Local Government.
- The Marian Babangida Children’s Amusement Park, Makurdi Local Government.
- The Juvenile Remand Home, Gboko Local Government.
- Mama Abayol Orphanage Home, Makurdi Local Government.
- Briquetting Factory: For conversion of raw materials like rice bran to char as a substitute for firewood.
Departments or Establishments
(Click or tap on the name of the department for more information)
Department of Women Affairs
- Key department in the promotion of gender equality in Benue State
- Mobilization and empowerment.
- The ministry implements programs to sensitize and mobilize the general public on sensitive issues in conjunction with other agencies.
- Capacity building by giving takeoff grants to Benue women affected by Gender Based Violence, GBV.
Department of Child Development
- Concerned with holistic development of the child.
- Promotion of child right through the conduct of children’s Parliament elections in 23 Local Government Areas and at the State level.
- Provision of scholarship for underprivileged Benue children.
Department of Social Welfare
- Vested with the improvement of social conditions of the elderly and less privileged persons in the society, focusing on the relief of psychosocial distress/stress in individuals, families and communities at large.
- It handles generic cases (family cases, kindred cases, juvenile cases and so on).
- The ministry has HIV/AIDS within the department with the mandate of mainstreaming HIV/AIDS activities into other sectors of the organization.
- Sensitive stakeholder on preventive measures and also provides care and support to Orphans and Vulnerable Children, OVC.
The following have been done in the area of Social Welfare in Benue State:
- Assistance to multiple birth cases in from of clothing, foodstuffs, baby food and so on.
- Cases of repatriation both inter and intrastate.
- Registration of Associations and NGOs.
- Welfare of inmates in the juvenile remand home.
Department of Administration and Finance
- Renders support services to the three other departments in the ministry.
- Provides guidance and direction to ensure compliance with government policies, rules and procedures.
- Provides welfare and scholarship to staff
Benue State Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development also supervises rehabilitation board directly. And also, provides certain social services and amenities to the people, thereby generating revenue for the Benue State Government.