Governor Ortom’s Re-Election Acceptance Speech
It’s Benue Peoples Victory!
Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen
It is with utmost humility and gratitude to God that my Deputy, Engr. Benson Abounu, and I accept the second mandate of Benue people expressed through the just concluded ‘inconclusive’ elections.
I thank God, the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings for the sweet victory. In the Bible, King David said in the Psalms: “Some boast of chariots and some of the horses but I boast in the name of the Lord my God.” Having dedicated the State to God, I invite all the people of Benue to become more committed to obeying and serving God as it is instructed in Job 36:11 that ‘If they obey and serve Him they will spend the rest of their days in prosperity and their years in pleasures.
2. I dedicate this victory to God, who assured me long ago that there will be giants on the way to hinder but He will surely grant me victory. I also dedicate this victory to the good people of Benue State and especially all members of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.
3. This victory is for all. I call on all those who contested with me to join me so that together we shall build the Benue of our collective dream.
My Vision Of A Greater And Modern Tiv Nation
4. As we celebrate let us engage in behaviour that will promote peace and reconciliation. Avoid the use of hurtful, and insultive political and folk songs. By the grace of God, I will set up a Peace, Truth and Reconciliation Committee. This will enable us to find ways to “truly forgive one another, reconcile and usher in peace and development in Benue State.”
5. Distinguished ladies and gentlemen, in our first term, mistakes were made, and lessons have been learnt. By the grace of God, mistakes will be corrected and our new mandate will be greater than the first in delivering dividends of democracy to our people. Our days in the wilderness are over. The Bible assures us that “better is the end of a matter than the beginning”.
6. I wish to deeply appreciate the entire people of the state and the various sacrifices they have made during this election. We appreciate INEC staff, security personnel, election observers, and Benue voters who have worked for the success of the elections.
7. I specially appreciate my lovely wife, Dr Mrs Eunice Ortom for her support and staying power throughout the campaigns. I also appreciate the State chairman of our great party, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Sir John Ngbede, and all members of the State Working Committee, our party leaders, Senators David Mark and Iyorchia Ayu, Senators-elect, Rt. Hon. Dr Gabriel Suswam, Rt. Hon. Orker Jev, and Comrade Abba Moro, as well as all our newly elected leaders at all levels for their great roles in our collective victory.
8. I equally appreciate the DG and members of our campaign team, our canvassers, our party members and supporters for the great job they have done. They gave their all. I thank all members of the State Executive and Security Councils for their roles in this victory. Our God is good.
9. Thank you, thank you and thank you so very much.
10. In God we trust.